Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I form a Wyoming LLC or corporation? Must I register my out of state LLC or corporation to do business in Wyoming?
All legal structure registrations are processed by the Secretary of State. http://soswy.state.wy.us/Forms/default.aspx , 307-777-7311.
- How do I determine if a transaction is subject of sales tax? How do I acquire a sales tax license?
The Department of Revenue addresses sales tax concerns. http://revenue.wyo.gov/Excise-Tax-Division, 307-777-5200.
- How do I secure a Wyoming general contractor’s license?
Contractor licensing (except electrical) is not done by the state of Wyoming. Rather, the option to license contractors is deferred to the local jurisdiction where the construction activity is to take place. Local contacts are found at this site: http://wyomuni.org/members/. Each region has towns listed alphabetically.
- How do I apply for Unemployment and Workers’ Compensation coverage?
The Department of Workforce Services administers both of these programs.
- How do I apply for a federal tax ID number (EIN)?
The Internal Revenue Service provides this number. http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/How-to-Apply-for-an-EIN , 800-829-1040.
- I’m delinquent in filing my LLC or corporate annual report? How can I reinstate my business registration?
The Secretary of State processes reinstatement documents. https://wyobiz.wy.gov/Business/Reinstatement.aspx , 307-777-7311.
- What license do I need to manufacture or sell food products in the state?
The Wyoming Department of Agriculture (and some local jurisdictions) licenses food manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers. http://wyagric.state.wy.us/divisions/chs , 307-777-7211.
- How do I determine my federal tax obligations?
Contact the Internal Revenue Service. https://www.irs.gov/businesses, 800-829-1040.
- I want to be in the transportation business. What credentials do I need?
You may need to register with the Wyoming Department of Transportation (http://www.dot.state.wy.us/home/trucking_commercial_vehicles.default.html , 307-777-4850) as well as the Federal Highway Administration (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/ , 307-772-2305).
- Is there one office that acts as a comprehensive clearinghouse for licensing and permitting information and assistance?
Yes, contact Cindy Unger at 307.234.6685.
Business Permitting and Licensing Guide
Checklist and Informational Worksheet