Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I form a Wyoming LLC or corporation? Must I register my out of state LLC or corporation to do business in Wyoming?
    All legal structure registrations are processed by the Secretary of State. , 307-777-7311.
  2. How do I determine if a transaction is subject of sales tax? How do I acquire a sales tax license?
    The Department of Revenue addresses sales tax concerns., 307-777-5200.
  3. How do I secure a Wyoming general contractor’s license?
    The state does not license contractors (except electrical). The option to license contractors is deferred to the local jurisdiction (town/county) where the construction activity is to take place. *NEW CONTRACTORS LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AVAILABLE*
  4. How do I apply for Unemployment and Workers’ Compensation coverage?
    The Department of Workforce Services administers both of these programs. , 307-777-8717.
  5. How do I apply for a federal tax ID number (EIN)?
    The Internal Revenue Service provides this number. , 800-829-1040.
  6. I’m delinquent in filing my LLC or corporate annual report? How can I reinstate my business registration?
    The Secretary of State processes reinstatement documents. , 307-777-7311.
  7. What license do I need to manufacture or sell food products in the state?
    The Wyoming Department of Agriculture (and some local jurisdictions) licenses food manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers. , 307-777-7211.
  8. How do I determine my federal tax obligations?
    Contact the Internal Revenue Service., 800-829-1040.
  9. I want to be in the transportation business. What credentials do I need?
    You may need to register with the Wyoming Department of Transportation ( , 307-777-4850) as well as the Federal Highway Administration ( , 307-772-2305).
  10. Is there one office that acts as a comprehensive clearinghouse for licensing and permitting information and assistance?
    Yes, contact Paul Howard at 307.777.2843

Business Permitting and Licensing Guide

Checklist and Informational Worksheet